How do you help ensure that your project gets completed on time, on budget and as perfectly as possible? A great place to start is by talking to your design team before the project moves into light speed. Communication is key. Find out what they need in order to accommodate your needs. Your design team knows exactly what is needed to meet and exceed your expectations.
Based on our experience, here’s a list of some relatively easy things you can do so your graphic designers can jump in and work their magic for you on time and on budget.
- Set up a timeline with your design team. It helps to work backwards from the time you need to have the final piece in hand or online and move step-by-step back to the start of the project. It’s important to be realistic about when a final piece is required. Do you really need those brochures in hand two weeks before your scheduled mailing?
- Provide all content in unformatted text documents with the text in FINAL approved form. Multiple rounds of text edits really slow the process down. Significant changes to text after a piece is laid out can also change things dramatically. The layout itself might have to be altered to accommodate additions or subtractions in content, and this can mean more time and more money for you.
- Know your logo and have the job specific version (black/white, 2-color, 4-color) available from the get go for your graphic designer.
- Along with logos, is there any artwork you will be providing for a job? If so, do you have the appropriate resolution version (72 dpi for web and 300 dpi for most print) available? Also, if the artwork is photographic, does a photographer need to be credited? Knowing that information up front will ensure your graphic designer can work quickly on those items.
- Be budget realistic. Knowing and communicating your budget with your design team during initial project meetings ensures they have time to come up with creative solutions that will work for you, your budget and your timeframe.
I hope these tips help you with your next graphic design project. Feel free to pass along any items you find particularly helpful and know that comments are always welcome. At ithree graphic design, we love to pay forward all the helpful graphic design information we can.